There was no doubt in anyones mind that the Washington Nationals would choose Super Stud Stephen Strasburg with the first pick in this years draft. The guy already throws in the triple digits and performed extraordinarily for Team USA. A lot of analysts have been calling him either the best prospect in the last 20 years or possibly the best prospect ever.
And as much as I hate Sidney Crosby, a comparison to the NHL star when he too was a prospect is undeniable. Crosby was seen as the next Gretsky and now Strasburg is seen as the next Josh Beckett (my own comparison). The Nationals pitching rotation has been absolutely horrendous this season (along with everything else) and the addition of Strasburg along with 10th overall pick Drew Storen will undoubtedly help the worst team in the majors.
It must be said that there is the possibility of Strasburg becoming the largest draft bust in history, but I honestly don’t think that’s going to happen.
The next big hurdle the Nationals will face is dealing with Strasburgs’ agent Scott Boras. If you hadn’t heard already, Boras is going to be asking the Nats for a $50 million contract for his client. Boras won’t get a contract that large but I he will get somewhere in the range of $40-$45. Yeah, that number didn’t come down all that much. A holdout is possible, but the Lerners will most likely settle closer to the number Boras wants than what they think they should pay him.
Strasburg is at or very close to playing at the major league level right off the back, which probably makes a lot of my fellow Nationals fans get sticky in their pants.
Check out the rest of the first round below. I honestly don’t know much about the other prospects so I’m not going to pretend I know more than I do.
1. Washington Nationals — Stephen Strasburg, RHP, San Diego State
2. Seattle Mariners — Dustin Ackley, OF, Univ. of North Carolina
3. San Diego Padres — Donovan Tate, OF, Cartersville (Ga.) HS
4. Pittsburgh Pirates — Tony Sanchez, C, Boston College
5. Baltimore Orioles — Matt Hobgood, RHP, Norco (Calif.) HS
6. San Francisco Giants — Zack Wheeler, RHP, East Paulding HS, Dallas, Ga.
7. Atlanta Braves — Mike Minor, LHP, Vanderbilt
8. Cincinnati Reds — Mike Leake, RHP, Arizona State
9. Detroit Tigers — Jacob Turner, RHP, Westminster Christian Academy, St. Louis, Mo.
10. Washington Nationals — Drew Storen, RHP, Stanford
11. Colorado Rockies — Tyler Matzek, LHP, Capistrano Valley HS, Mission Viejo, Calif.
12. Kansas City Royals — Aaron Crow, RHP, Fort Worth Cats
13. Oakland Athletics — Grant Green, SS, University of Southern California
14. Texas Rangers — Matt Purke, LHP, Klein HS, Spring, Texas
15. Cleveland Indians — Alex White, RHP, Univ. of North Carolina
16. Arizona Diamondbacks — Bobby Borchering, 3B, Bishop Verot School, Fort Myers, Fla.
17. Arizona Diamondbacks — A.J. Pollock, CF, Notre Dame
18. Florida Marlins — Chad James, LHP, Yukon (Okla.) HS
19. St. Louis Cardinals — Shelby Miller, RHP, Brownwood (Texas) HS
20. Toronto Blue Jays — Chad Jenkins, RHP, Kennesaw State University
21. Houston Astros — Jiovanni Mier, SS, Bonita HS, La Verne, Calif.
22. Minnesota Twins — Kyle Gibson, RHP, Univ. of Missouri
23. Chicago White Sox — Jared Mitchell, OF, LSU
24. Los Angeles Angels — Randal Grichuk, LF, Lamar Consolidated HS, Rosenberg, Texas
25. Los Angeles Angels — Mike Trout, CF, Millville (N.J.) HS
26. Milwaukee Brewers — Eric Arnett, RHP, Indiana Univ.
27. Seattle Mariners — Nick Franklin, SS, Lake Brantley HS, Altamonte Springs, Fla.
28. Boston Red Sox — Reymond Fuentes, CF, Fernando Callejo HS, Manati, P.R.
29. New York Yankees — Slade Heathcott, CF, Texas HS, Texarkana, Texas
30. Tampa Bay Rays — Levon Washington, OF, Buchholz HS, Gainesville, Fla.
31. Chicago Cubs — Brett Jackson, OF, Univ. of California
32. Colorado Rockies — Tim Wheeler, OF, Sacramento State
And as usual, FIRE MANNY ACTA NOW!